Saturday, October 30, 2010

I Don't Need Anything.......... here's a list

I've been at site for a little over two months now and I'm starting to really get comfortable. My home is coming along, as of today I will have propane for my stove (being able to cook for myself regularly is a big deal). And yes Mom, I'm making plenty of friends here -I'm also figuring out who to avoid. Just in the past week I've met some people that I think will make my work much more productive and enjoyable. Specifically, I met a beekeeper in a nearby village called Ambrose. He's got a 50-box operation and has been successful in getting others into apiculture. His work is in the fledgling stages, and I think I can play a role in vamping up production and securing markets. More on him later... the point is I have plenty of meaningful work for the next two years, and more importantly I've met some capable, forward thinking people. And I've already mentioned my garden project etc. In a lot of ways I will be spending the next two years as a gardener.

I've been pretty persistent so far about not letting my friends waste their money back home to send me things. But now I have a few requests. Mostly I need seeds for my garden. There are plenty of seeds for tropical varieties. but I want to tryout/introduce some new varieties from back home. Don't bother running to the hardare store and sending a box full of seeds. I would much rather people just sent a single packet enclosed with a letter here and there. And I'd be even happier if you chose stock from your own gaardens (ie if you've been growing some giant pumpkins for halloween). Also don't rush, I won't sow anything until february/March. And I will happily plant anything throughout my service. So this is just a standing request. Don't go overboard. Its always hot here and either really wet or really dry. Annual plants should do fine during the wet season, especially if they like a lot of water.

Seeds I'm interested in:
Bushbeans, Large disc/ornamental sunflowers (not the wild types that spread quickly), lettuce (especially "summertime" and "optima" which are heat tolerant), chives, Perrenial Kale, nasturtium, Bell bean, Pinto beans, Sesbania, cowpeas, kiwi, Scarlet runner beans, ALL Herbs (parsely, Oregono etc.), Bread root, goldenberry, Olive, Grapes, red bell peppers, ALL squash/Pumpkins (epecially the kind that will attract attention to my garden), ALL melons (the Coloradoan who can get me some Rocky-Fords will have a special place in my heart). And whatever else you think might grow here.

Also: I get a lot of visitors to my house. Alot of them are young children who love to flip through my field guides. They get really exited when they see pictures of monkeys and antelopes. I've had some success in getting them to read about the animals and in general this has been a great way to start conversations about wildlife. So my second request is for magazine clippings. Specifically about African (or North American) wildlife. Anything you think might spark their interest. The more daring amungst you might send a larger envelope containing a "Ranger Rick"or other wildlife magazine. I could also use a copy of "Reptiles" magazine or a similar publication. My friends here are fascinated by the fact that Obronis keep snakes as pets. Also Gardening magazines would be amazing.

[For those of you insistent on sending larger packages (this should be a short list of people, namely my parents): I wouldn't skoff at a few field guides. Plants, insects, mammals etc. I already have a copy of West African Birds and the National Geographic African Wildlife. But I'm a nerd who likes to ID things -they don't have to have pictures, Dichotomous keys are great too. Use your highspeed internet powers and look around, please.]

Don't stress. I have no particular expectations. I won't be upset if I don't get something from you. But I will be upset if I don't get some letters. So send those at least.

Thanks to all.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment